Wednesday, January 8, 2014

THE BONE SEASON By Samantha Shannon

17199504

Confusing. That is the word that I could use to sum up the entire premise of this book and review. Confusing.

Apart from being VERY confusing, oddly enough because there was so much information it was annoying, it was also, now that I think of it, dull. The entire premise of the book is deceiving which in turn makes it sound unique and intriguing, but after reading it it feels like I have read the story a 100 time, but with slightly different scenarios, names, and vocabulary, but in the end its the same old predictable structure that makes me cringe sometimes.  I think the biggest reason I didn't enjoy this book as much was because of all of the hype it got. People started creating very high (and false) expectations, and like the book crazy girl that I am, I believed most of them, so when I read the book it fell flat on its clairvoyant face.

The beginning of the book may have been the hardest for me because we were just hit with all this info about the government system voyants and all of these other things like we were expected to know it. This starts to fade away a few chapters into the book, but a feeling of lack of knowledge, incomprehension, and uneasiness followed me throughout the rest of the book. This might sound contradictory, but another reason the book was not that great was because of all of the excess of information. My reason  to say this is because ( I think) the author started to realize that we needed some background info at certain points and just stopped writing the scene and jumped immediately into a flashback, or an explanation. The problem with this was that it made the writing sorta choppy at times and incoherent. Plus the "background info" didn't always answer the questions I had, or did in a way, but not completely.

As for the characters in this book there really isn't much to say about them because they were neither fabulous nor terrible they where just something out of a textbook. Just plain old meh, just like the romance.

I literally have nothing else to say about this book.


CHECK IT OUT:THE BONE SEASON

No comments:

Post a Comment