Monday, December 30, 2013

VAMPIRE ACADEMY By Richelle Mead

9058586

Meh. I really cant say I loved nor I hated it because while it was very terrible in some aspects it was not the worst book I have ever read (which is saying something).

The whole idea of the plot was really messy and sloppy for my liking because for most of the book we don't get to know much about "the incident" that caused the two female leads to run away and even when Rose describes some of it its just bits and fragments that don't make sense so it gets to the point where I felt the entire book was a run-non sentence.

The characters where very confusing, and hard to like and connect with at times. A prime example of this would be Rose. I can easily say that since the first few pages I read about her I despised her. God almighty I might even dislike her more than Bella Swan, and that is going low. We learn early on how she thinks of herself with statements such as

"I knew perfectly well that there weren't a lot of girls at this school who looked as good in a bra as I did."

and

"I was a pretty dhampir, one who didn't mind getting into trouble and pulling crazy stunts. I became a novelty; they liked having me around for the fun of it."


My first impressions from sentences/ thoughts like these cheap girls that are full of themselves, will sleep with a boy while having no real interest him rather than his attractiveness, and the girl that boys just add to their "score" lists without a second thought. Apart from giving off this impression she make it clear from the start of what she thinks of actual dhampir women that offer services, referring to them as "bloodwhores" throughout the entire novel. Double standards like this just make me mad! all I could keep thinking while I read this was that she needed to come to terms with her inner slut. 


As for the other characters they where...okay I guess (kinda boring). The only character I had real issues with was Rose.

As for the romance in this book...I wasn't feeling it. Dimitri didn't have me swooning and the lack of character background with him didn't help with the equation.
The way Rose described him, and her feelings for him didn't do much for me either...like I said earlier the only thing she seems to look for in people is their physical attractiveness.

I just really fell the concept of a vampire academy had allot of potential, but it fell a little flat with this book, but I have also heard from other people that the series does get better after the third book, but I don't know...meh.

CHECK IT OUT:VAMPIRE ACADEMY


No comments:

Post a Comment